At the Clients Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR), NIBR Informatics (NX) serves the global NIBR research community to provide the best of breed, bleeding edge informatics platforms, as well as in-depth data analysis services.
The members of this group have a chance to participate in the groundbreaking medical research activities to re-define the grammar for medicine in the future in the post-genome era. NIBR Informatics is looking for a degree-educated Senior Scientific Software Engineer/Senior Bioinformatics Developer with an excellent understanding of biology, research data, and lab workflows, as well as experience in software engineering and informatics, to join a multi-disciplinary Discovery Biology Informatics Group.
Work location will be in Basel, Switzerland.
The successful candidate will work closely with scientists and talented software engineers to re-define the NIBR-wide informatics systems to meet the challenge arising from genomic drug discovery research. The ideal candidate should be a highly motivated team player with a strong understanding of biology, as well
as data management and analysis needs associated with target discovery and screening research. This person should have proven record of building effective tools for scientists in a research environment and be capable of leading a technical team to deliver solutions to support NIBR drug discovery biology research.
Major Accountabilities / Key Performance Indicators
- Gather user requirements and perform needs assessments to guide development and selection of software systems.
- Support scientific research with software systems that capture experimental design, enable data analysis and interpretation, and provide for regular communication on genomics projects.
- Design and/or supervise development and testing of software systems to meet or exceed project objectives.
- Lead, mentor, and inspire a high-performing team of developers by establishing high technical standards and demonstrating, by way of example, technical excellence in all stages of software development.
- Use software version control system, automated build tools, ticket tracking software, architecture documentation, and release engineering processes.
- Develop and optimize techniques and methods to improve software development processes including test driven development, agile methodology, and pair programming.
- Work closely with cross-functional groups (engineers and researchers, management, business analysts, and internal customers), in a highly matrixed organization to build constructive and effective relationships throughout the whole organization.
We are seeking candidates who have at least 2-4 years of experience in the design and implementation of production software systems. Documented software development lead skills and experience with software technical documentation are desired. Ideal candidates will possess the following:
- A PhD or Master’s degree i n biology, biotechnology, bioinformatics or other science discipline and/or computer science
- Strong knowledge of software design and implementation including for complex workflows and integrating very large datasets
- Working experience of Maven, Tomcat, Hibernate, JIRA, FishEye, Confluence, SVN, CID, AWS
- Strong ability to take initiative and wide latitude for independent judgment
- Strong ability to handle multiple assignments at one time while working independently and effectively under deadlines
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to focus on many tasks at once
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to express computer-related information in layman terms
- Demonstrate respect and dignity in decisions, communications, and actions
- Professional communication and interaction with all levels of the organization
- The following qualifications would be a plus: Formal experience as a business analyst
- Web lab experience in a molecular biology lab
- In-depth experience with AWS based solutions