For our Swiss customer located in Basel we are currently looking for (m/f) a Global Category Manager Clinical Services
The Global Category Manager is a leadership role and responsible to maximize the value of third party purchases to across a portfolio of goods and services for the assigned clinical category. This role will be the key global interface with stakeholders and procurement and functional peers across the our customer group. This role is responsible for developing and demonstrating in-depth knowledge of markets, suppliers, products and their cost drivers within this category. In addition, the Category Manager maintains category specific knowledge by analyzing, benchmarking the respective category and togetherwith the business identifies the needs to develop strategies that enhance overall business values. The management of the Category Lifecycle includes development of the Category Strategy, Sourcing, Contract & Pricing Negotiations, Implementation and Supplier Management.
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- To develop and refine category strategy including determination, implementation and management of the applicable governance structure
- To liaison with stakeholders (PD, pRED, gRED, GPS and GMA/gMED) to ensure that the category strategy is aligned
- Drives and is accountable for the global contracting process with suppliers safeguarding best interests at all times. Sets strategies to manage pricing negotiations ensuring competitive market prices are applied. Will drive and contributes to the over departmental savings objectives.
- Benchmark and evaluate the market to identify potential suppliers. Strategically sources, allocates and manages preferred suppliers aligned with guidelines and regulations. Fully drives/coordinates the Request for X (RFI, RFP) process.
- To maintain an oversight of the category including ongoing management of spend and demand (including identification of efficiency and value adding opportunities)
- Analyze Market, Category and Supplier, including financial risks, Spend history, trends, demands and forecasts
- Identify opportunities that focus on cost reductions, efficiencies/quality improvements, risk mitigation, industry and supply trends and shifts in technology
- Facilitate senior level review and concurrence on sourcing strategies, including sponsorship and resource allocations.
- Facilitates and coordinates the implementation of the category strategy ensuring Global Procurement
- Directives are met. Provides tools, support and guidance for effective spend and budget management practices.
- Manages supplier’s performance and performs risk management. Develops and maintains metrics of procurement i.e. key performance indicators and continuously improves the outcomes measured
- Decision-Making Authority: Commercial recommendations to business for supplier selection. Grants exceptions to bypass the procurement process. Reports non-compliant behavior. Maintains accountability for commercial contract terms.
- University degree is preferred, MBA desirable, preferably science and clinical development experience.
- Procurement related training and qualification is desirable
- Five years of experience in procurement, preferably in Scientific/Clinical procurement and sourcing of services
- Extensive relevant experience in Pharmaceutical Development, CRO experience and functionality as well as the management of clinical trials including previous functional and/or team leadership skills
- Excellent influencing, convincing and interpersonal skills, enabling you to engage and manage expectations of senior management, particularly Finance and R&D Operations
- Self-motivated / driven and able to work autonomous if needed
- Willingness and ability to cope well with time pressure and changing deadlines Proven track record for delivering strategic initiatives within timeline and budget constraints
- Significant domestic and international travel – approx. 10%
- Project management / Program management: Demonstrated ability in leading complex projects to successful and on time completion
- Highly effective at initiating and leading cross functional teams by building internal and external relationships that create alignment
- Risk and financial analysis skills and the ability to interpret and utilize key financial data
- Excellent written and verbal communication, influencing and persuasion skills
- Experience of working in international matrix organizations across functions and cultures
- Demonstrated strategic agility with ability to take a process or project into implementation
- Strong business and team leadership and strategic agility; strategic thinker with superior financial acumen.
- Strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills to be able to engage and manage expectations of senior management, particularly Finance and R&D Ops.
- Fluent English language written & spoken (second language desirable)