For our Swiss customer located in Basel we are currently looking for (m/f) a Senior Scientific Platform Specialist (for Linux Research Platform)
- Type of placement: 1 yesr and 8 months, external contract with possible long term extension
- Company: major Pharma company in Basel area
- Salary: level 3, please ask us for the exact rate range
(monthly all in salary levels in CHF, level1= 5-10k , level2=10-15k, level3= >15k)
Technical Operations identify specialized technology needs, providing agile and customized infrastructure and services. These deliver “state of the art” computing, enabling our scientists to be innovative, competitive and successful. We provide customized informatics consultancy, tools and services to our scientists. We interface with service providers, internal and external vendors to provide customized scientific leading edge informatics solutions.
The position will involve architecting, developing and maintaining our scientific computing platforms and working with our scientists on their application needs and translating this to infrastructure needs provided in partnership with our service providers
The position will involve working with our scientists on their Linux application needs and translating this to core infrastructure needs provided in partnership with our service providers.
Required skill set
Knowledge of Linux system administration, scientific application build and tuning, high performance compute (HPC) and storage systems, scripting and devops approach to platform administration.
Main tasks & responsibilities
- Delivery of the scientific Linux application environment
- Support of HPC platform, Linux systems including laboratory environment
- Manage scientific application and data analysis toolset build system
- Contribute to HPC/HTC workflow and job submission optimization activities
- Contributes to the concept, planning and execution of projects.
- Preferred start date: asap
- End date: 31.12.2019 (end of 2019)
- Extension: Would be possible, but needs to be approved.
- Work load: 100%
- Work location: Basel
- Remote: not possible
- Travel: not required
- Department: Technical Solution Delivery (PXIBA) = pRED Informatics
Our customer is looking for a candidate who has significant technical hands-on experience in Linux and automation.
Technical skills – Must Haves (at least 2 of them)
- Desirable at least 3 years of administering Linux HPC environments
- Experience of Linux build and packaging tools (Make, CMake, Easybuild, RPM, Yum)
- Proven experience working with installing and configuring scientific applications particularly on a Linux/Unix platform, examples: Schrodinger, Moe, Bowtie, Gromacs, R, Python, Matlab, Topspin, Pipeline Pilot.
Technical skills – Nice to Haves (at least 3 of them)
- Experience working with Parallel Filesystem (e.g. Lustre, GPFS) and Scale-out NAS (e.g. Isilon)
- DevOPS approach: configuration management (e.g. puppet), automated build/release test & deployment (e.g. jenkins, git)
- Cloud technologies, infrastructure/platform as a service, AWS, Google, Azure
- Workload management, queue configuration (e.g. SLURM, Torque, LSF)
- Knowledge of parallel programming techniques and tuning, openmp, mpi
- Knowledge of HPC cluster build and management tools (e.g bright, xcat)
- Knowledge of HPC infrastructure components, infiniband networking, GPUs
- Scripting: shell, python, perl
- Big Data frameworks (e.g. Hadoop, Mapreduce, Spark)
- Monitoring tools/frameworks (e.g. nagios, ganglia, elk)
- Programming skills in high level languages such as Java or C++ are a plus
- Virtualization and containerisation awareness
- Professional Linux/Unix Certifications
Other skills – Must Haves
- Senior level technical operational skills, such as troubleshooting, capacity planning, and root cause analysis
- Advanced English language skill is a must
- Scientific knowledge or awareness: bioinformatics, cheminformatics, life sciences
- Desirable understanding of Computer Systems Validation and ITIL concepts
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Proactivity, with a clear ability to think beyond boundaries, take controlled risks and assume responsibilities
- Excellent customer orientation and delivery focus with good end user perspective
- Experience in fast changing environments where solutions are deployed and retired at high pace.
- Problem solving attitude
- Writing application and platform documentation
- Performing platform and application benchmarking
- User training and education experience
- Ability to work effectively within a team, including virtual teams
- Clear goal orientation and supportive of change
- Active open source contributor
Other skills – Nice to Haves
- German would be considered an advantage.
- Experience in a global organization, working in an international and multicultural environment is considered a valuable asset